Understanding Maryland’s “Move Over” Law

With numerous car accidents throughout the state, legislation tries to create new regulations to limit the number of crashes and serious injuries. In October 2022, a new law will require Maryland drivers to change lanes or slow down when approaching stopped vehicles displaying warning signs. These rules extend from the “Move Over” law requiring drivers to slow down or change lanes for emergency vehicles. Signed into effect by Gov. Larry Hogan, this extension will start on October 1st.

In an effort to spread the word about this new law, the Maryland Department of Transportation announced a new awareness campaign that provides local law enforcement agencies with state grants for overtime pay between May 8th to May 17th. During these times, Officers will heavily enforce speeding violations and violations of the “move over” law. They will also post educational and informative content on their social media platforms and other locations to help spread awareness of these new changes.

What Is Maryland’s New “Move Over” Law?

When an emergency vehicle uses its visual signals while stopped on the highway, Maryland’s “Move Over” law requires those approaching from the vehicle’s rear to change lanes or slow down. In some cases, it may be dangerous or impossible for you to move over to the next lane. For those unable to move over, the law requires that you slow down to a reasonable and safe speed.

This law keeps those outside their vehicles safe from unexpected traffic accidents while performing their jobs. The new law taking effect on October 1st enacts the “Move Over” law for all vehicles stopped on the side of the road and using emergency signals. Mayland’s legislation hopes that these new changes will help limit severe accidents.

What to Do if Another Vehicle Hits You While You’re on the Side of the Road

If your front tire bursts or your vehicle loses power, you’ll need to turn on your hazard lights and move to the side of the highway to assess the problem. If another car hits you, you may suffer severe injuries. Consider the following steps you may take after another vehicle hits you while you’re on the side of the road:

  • Check for injuries: Your main priority is your health and safety. Once you assess your injuries and determine whether you need immediate medical attention, you’ll want to check on anyone involved in the accident to see if they need medical care.
  • Call the police: After you’ve contacted emergency medical care or determined that no one requires immediate assistance, you’ll want to call your local law enforcement. They’ll assess the situation and document the accident.
  • Collect driver’s information: Exchanging information like driver’s license, insurance information, and other important identification is necessary when filing a claim with your insurance.
  • Gather evidence: Taking pictures and videos of the accident’s scene, any injuries, the surrounding area, and property damage can significantly help when filing your claim. A police report and witness testimony also work as compelling evidence.
  • Talk with your lawyer: Your lawyer will have the knowledge and resources to guide you through both the legal and medical aftermath of a crash. You’ll want to have someone with experience negotiating and representing your claim.

While the new law hopes to protect and limit these accidents, there may be those who neglect to follow the rules. If you suffer severe harm because of someone else’s recklessness, contact your lawyer as soon as possible.

Contact a Reliable Maryland Attorney at the Law Office of Hillel Traub

The Law Office of Hillel Traub has an experienced car accident lawyer that can provide you with trustworthy advice and legal representation. A former lawyer from MVA, Attorney Hillel Traub dedicates his practice to making sure clients have the best possible representation for their claims. Our goal is to protect your rights and provide you with the compensation you deserve for the injuries and property damage you incur from the crash.

Learn more about how we can help your claim by calling (410) 580-1100 or filling out our contact form today.