Can You Lose Your License If You Fail to Pay Child Support in Maryland? 

Can You Lose Your License If You Fail to Pay Child Support in Maryland?

Many drivers lose their license for driving under the influence, refusing to take a breath test, or accumulating too many points on their license. However, Maryland drivers may also lose their driving privileges for failing to pay child support. The state’s Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) and Child Support Enforcement Administration (CSEA) work together to collect child support payments and revoke driver’s licenses for those who fail to pay for more than 60 days. If this happens to you, it is crucial to know that the CSEA decides when the MVA can remove the suspension. 

After losing your driving privileges because of unpaid child support, reach out to Attorney Hillel Traub. He will represent you at hearings and work toward reinstating your license. 

What to Do after the CSEA Suspends Your License 

Before notifying the MVA, the CSEA will send you a written notice that explains your right to request an investigation if you disagree with the suspension and will include various important dates regarding the case. You cannot miss any deadline within the notice. Immediately contact the CSEA to address this issue and not the MVA. They do not have any jurisdiction over this matter. 

If you do not pay the entire amount owed or work out an agreement with the CSEA, you must return your driver’s license to any MVA branch in person or by mail. You should receive a receipt from the MVA if you drop off the license in person. If you no longer have a driver’s license, you must complete a Certified Statement form. 

How to Reinstate Your Driver’s License

To fully reinstate your driver’s license, you must either pay the total amount owed or set up a payment plan. Once you do this, a CSEA representative will notify the MVA. You can then apply for a new unrestricted Maryland license. 

However, if you need a license to get to work, you may fill out a Work-Restricted Driver’s License Authorization letter to the MVA to obtain the restricted license. With this license, you can only drive to and from work and to locations necessary for your job. You may also call the CSEA to explain why you need a license, such as to complete school or training. If they approve it, you can apply for a restricted license. Remember, you can only drive to approved locations on this license or risk fully losing your driving privileges. 

Skilled Maryland Defense Attorney Is Here to Help 

If you are at risk of losing your Maryland license because of unpaid child support, contact The Law Office of Hillel Traub. Attorney Hillel Traub understands when, how, and why the MVA or CSEA suspends driver’s licenses and what rights you have to contest the suspension. He will also help determine what legal rights and remedies are available, and he can inform you of all potential avenues specific to your case. Additionally, Attorney Traub formerly served as an attorney for the Maryland MVA, bringing a unique perspective to these cases. To schedule a free consultation, call (410) 580-1100 or complete our contact form